Because California’s AB 5 by Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez hasn’t done enough damage already to independent contractors and freelance workers in hundreds of different industries, Congressional Democrats and Speaker Nancy Pelosi are championing their own national version: The Protecting the Right to Organize Act or PROAct, on behalf of the AFL-CIO.
Following the State of the Union, Pelosi announced Wednesday on Twitter: “The most important table in America is the kitchen table. Tomorrow, we will pass the #PROAct to protect Americans’ rights to join a union and raise the purchasing power of families across America. #ForThePeople.“
Assembly Bill 5 by former labor leader Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego), has already significantly limited Californians’ ability to work as independent contractors and freelancers. It was revealed during Senate debate in September that the AFL-CIO wrote AB 5.
Assemblywoman Gonzalez said in December, “These were never good jobs,” referring to freelance journalists, as justification for AB 5.
California freelance journalists are losing jobs en masse because AB 5 also randomly limits freelance writers and photographers to 35 submissions annually per media outlet. Members of the entertainment industry are seeing jobs cancelled in droves. And even ADA protected industries such as court reporters, captioners, and sign language interpreters, a majority of whom prefer the independence and flexibility of deciding when and where to work, are seeing their ability to work as independent contractors and freelancers in jeopardy, as California Globe reported.
The law, signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom, broadly codified the newest definition of an employee, established in 2018 in the California Supreme Court’s decision in Dynamex Operations West, Inc. v. Superior Court of Los Angeles, which dealt a blow to independent contractors. The Court ruled that the Dynamex delivery drivers were employees, rejecting its own prior test for determining whether workers should be classified as either employees or independent contractors,” Forbes reported.
According to many legal analysts, what the Court did was legislate from the bench by adopting a new rule for the narrow purpose of interpreting California’s Industrial Welfare Commission’s wage orders.
New York Democrats are trying to adopt their own version as well.
As California Globe reported recently, there are 56.7 million freelance workers currently enjoying life as independent contractors in America.
Assemblywoman Gonzalez and California’s Democrat lawmakers claim to care about workers, but only if they agree to unionize. They claim that the rideshare and app-based gig workers are being exploited by Uber, Lyft, Doordash and other app based businesses.
And despite AB 5 going through the legislative committee process, and hundreds of gig workers, business owners and independent contractors warning lawmakers that the bill would destroy many more jobs than just the gig economy app based businesses, they passed the law anyway.
Gonzalez was warned AB 5 could destroy California’s entire Gig economy if passed and signed into law.
“In fact, 66 percent of Uber and Lyft drivers would prefer to remain independent contractors,” the Federalist reported. “The truth that lawmakers don’t want to admit is that gig workers willingly trade certain benefits for what they see as better benefits, and that the nature of work has moved away from the union model, and it’s not going back. Freelancers are de facto small business owners who run themselves as a company.”
Exemptions From AB 5 and Possible Fixes
A new bill has been proposed to exempt freelance journalists from the independent contractor redefining AB 5 law in the California Senate. Senate Bill 868, authored by Senator Patricia Bates (R-Laguna Niguel), would also end the post AB 5 rule of limiting freelance journalists to 35 articles a year per publication.
A federal lawsuit by two drivers and Uber and Postmates seeks declaratory, injunctive, and other relief to determine that AB 5 is unconstitutional. Their lawsuit claims AB 5 violates the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, the Ninth Amendment to the United States Constitution, and the Contracts Clause of Article I of the United States Constitution, as well as the Equal Protection Clause, Inalienable Rights Clause, Due Process Clause, Baby Ninth Amendment, and Contracts Clause of the California Constitution.
The PRO Act, H.R. 2474, would preempt state labor laws, overrule three Supreme Court decisions, and transform the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) into a punitive one. The PRO Act would:
- Require workers to pay dues to a union
- Change the definition of joint employment in order to ease union organizing;
- Amend the definition of employee to increase the pool of employees eligible for unionization;
- Impose government-mandated arbitration to dictate employment terms in first negotiations
- Promote card-check organizing, a process that forces union representation on workers without a secret-ballot election.
With the many state and federal legal challenges to AB 5, for Pelosi and House Democrats to carry the water for the AFL-CIO on a national level, willing to kill 56 million freelance and independent contractor jobs, does not bode well in an election year.
Gig Economy Platforms Market Size, Key Players Analysis, Competitive Scenario, Opportunities, Development Status 2021-2026|ayer DTaskRabbit, BellHops, Guru.com, HopSkipDrive, Freelancer, etc
Latest research on Global Gig Economy Platforms Market report covers forecast and analysis on a worldwide, regional and country level. The study provides historical information of 2016-2021 together with a forecast from 2021 to 2026 supported by both volume and revenue (USD million). The entire study covers the key drivers and restraints for the Gig Economy Platforms market. this report included a special section on the Impact of COVID19. Also, Gig Economy Platforms Market (By major Key Players, By Types, By Applications, and Leading Regions) Segments outlook, Business assessment, Competition scenario and Trends .The report also gives 360-degree overview of the competitive landscape of the industries.
Moreover, it offers highly accurate estimations on the CAGR, market share, and market size of key regions and countries. Players can use this study to explore untapped Gig Economy Platforms markets to extend their reach and create sales opportunities.
Some of the key manufacturers operating in this market include: ayer DTaskRabbit, BellHops, Guru.com, HopSkipDrive, Freelancer, Rover, Upwork, Fiverr, DoorDash, Favor Delivery, Turo, Twago Enterprise, Handy,, , and More…
Download Free PDF Sample Copy of the Report(with covid 19 Impact Analysis):
Our Research Analyst implemented a Free PDF Sample Report copy as per your Research Requirement, also including impact analysis of COVID-19 on Gig Economy Platforms Market Size
Gig Economy Platforms market competitive landscape offers data information and details by companies. Its provides a complete analysis and precise statistics on revenue by the major players participants for the period 2021-2026. The report also illustrates minute details in the Gig Economy Platforms market governing micro and macroeconomic factors that seem to have a dominant and long-term impact, directing the course of popular trends in the global Gig Economy Platforms market.
Market Segment by Type covers(APP-based, Website-based, )
Market Segment by Application covers (Freelancer, Independent Contractor, Project Worker, Part-Time, )
Regions Covered in the Global Gig Economy Platforms Market:
1. South America Gig Economy Platforms Market Covers Colombia, Brazil, and Argentina.
2. North America Gig Economy Platforms Market Covers Canada, United States, and Mexico.
3. Europe Gig Economy Platforms Market Covers UK, France, Italy, Germany, and Russia.
4. The Middle East and Africa Gig Economy Platforms Market Covers UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Nigeria, and South Africa.
5. Asia Pacific Gig Economy Platforms Market Covers Korea, Japan, China, Southeast Asia, and India.
Years Considered to Estimate the Market Size:
History Year: 2015-2020
Base Year: 2020
Estimated Year: 2021
Forecast Year: 2021-2026
*Get Upto $1000 Flat Discount on All License [email protected]
Reasons to buy:
- Procure strategically important competitor information, analysis, and insights to formulate effective R&D strategies.
- Recognize emerging players with potentially strong product portfolio and create effective counter-strategies to gain competitive advantage.
- Classify potential new clients or partners in the target demographic.
- Develop tactical initiatives by understanding the focus areas of leading companies.
- Plan mergers and acquisitions meritoriously by identifying Top Manufacturer.
- Formulate corrective measures for pipeline projects by understanding Gig Economy Platforms pipeline depth.
- Develop and design in-licensing and out-licensing strategies by identifying prospective partners with the most attractive projects to enhance and expand business potential and Scope.
- Report will be updated with the latest data and delivered to you within 2-4 working days of order.
- Suitable for supporting your internal and external presentations with reliable high quality data and analysis.
- Create regional and country strategies on the basis of local data and analysis.
Some Major TOC Points:
- Chapter 1: Gig Economy Platforms Market Overview, Product Overview, Market Segmentation, Market Overview of Regions, Market Dynamics, Limitations, Opportunities and Industry News and Policies.
- Chapter 2: Gig Economy Platforms Industry Chain Analysis, Upstream Raw Material Suppliers, Major Players, Production Process Analysis, Cost Analysis, Market Channels, and Major Downstream Buyers.
- Chapter 3: Value Analysis, Production, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Type of Gig Economy Platforms.
- Chapter 4: Downstream Characteristics, Consumption and Market Share by Application of Gig Economy Platforms.
- Chapter 5: Production Volume, Price, Gross Margin, and Revenue ($) of Gig Economy Platforms by Regions.
- Chapter 6: Gig Economy Platforms Production, Consumption, Export, and Import by Regions.
- Chapter 7: Gig Economy Platforms Market Status and SWOT Analysis by Regions.
- Chapter 8: Competitive Landscape, Product Introduction, Company Profiles, Market Distribution Status by Players of Gig Economy Platforms.
- Chapter 9: Gig Economy Platforms Market Analysis and Forecast by Type and Application.
- Chapter 10: Gig Economy Platforms Market Analysis and Forecast by Regions.
- Chapter 11: Gig Economy Platforms Industry Characteristics, Key Factors, New Entrants SWOT Analysis, Investment Feasibility Analysis.
- Chapter 12: Gig Economy Platforms Market Conclusion of the Whole Report.
For More Information with including full TOC:
Key highlights of the Gig Economy Platforms Market report:
• Growth rate
• Renumeration prediction
• Consumption graph
• Market concentration ratio
• Secondary industry competitors
• Competitive structure
• Major restraints
• Market drivers
• Regional bifurcation
• Competitive hierarchy
• Current market tendencies
• Market concentration analysis
Customization of the Report:
Glob Market Reports provides customization of reports as per your need. This report can be personalized to meet your requirements. Get in touch with our sales team, who will guarantee you to get a report that suits your necessities.
Get Customization of the [email protected]
Contact Us :
Glob Market Reports
17224 S. Figueroa Street,
Gardena, California (CA) 90248, United States
Call: +1 915 229 3004 (U.S)
+44 7452 242832 (U.K)
Global Gig Economy Market by Market Share, Vendors, Growth Rate, Analysis, Product Type, Revenue| Airbnb, CouchSurfing, FlipKey, Onefinestay
(Post-pandemic Era)- Global Gig Economy Market 2021: Inclusive Insight
Los Angeles, United States, January 2021: The report titled Global Gig Economy Market is one of the most comprehensive and important additions to Alexareports archive of market research studies. It offers detailed research and analysis of key aspects of the global Gig Economy market. The market analysts authoring this report have provided in-depth information on leading growth drivers, restraints, challenges, trends, and opportunities to offer a complete analysis of the global Gig Economy market. Market participants can use the analysis on market dynamics to plan effective growth strategies and prepare for future challenges beforehand. Each trend of the global Gig Economy market is carefully analyzed and researched about by the market analysts.
Get PDF Sample Copy of the Report to understand the structure of the complete report:(Including Full TOC, List of Tables & Figures, Chart) : https://www.alexareports.com/report-sample/2004384
List of Top Manufacturers/Key-players of Global Gig Economy market growth report (2021- 2026): – Airbnb, CouchSurfing, FlipKey, Onefinestay, Vrbo/HomeAway, Xiaozhu, Care.com, Heal.com, Pager, Amazon Flex, Cargomatic, Farmdrop, The Food Assembly, Deliveroo, DoorDash, VIPKid, Airtasker
Gig Economy Market Segment by Type covers: Delivery, Food, Education, Retail, Others
Gig Economy Market Segment by Application covers: enterprise, personal
About “Gig Economy Market” Growth:
In this report, the global Gig Economy market is valued at USD XX million in 2020 and is projected to reach USD XX million by the end of 2024, growing at a CAGR of XX% during the period 2020 to 2024.
Reason to purchase this Gig Economy Market Report: –
1) To gain insightful analyses of the market and have comprehensive understanding of the global market and its commercial landscape.
2) Assess the production processes, major issues, and solutions to mitigate the development risk.
3) To understand the most affecting driving and restraining forces in the market and its impact in the global market.
4) Learn about the market strategies that are being adopted by leading respective organizations.
5) To understand the future outlook and prospects for the market.
Production, consumption, revenue, market share and growth rate are the key targets for Gig Economy Market forecast from 2013 to 2025 (forecast) in these regions:
- Southeast Asia
- South America
Key questions answered in the report:
What will the market growth rate of Gig Economy market?
What are the key factors driving the global Gig Economy market size?
Who are the key manufacturers in Gig Economy market space?
What are the market opportunities, market risk and market overview of the Gig Economy market?
What are sales, revenue, and price analysis of top manufacturers of Gig Economy market?
Who are the distributors, traders, and dealers of Gig Economy market?
What are the Gig Economy market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global Gig Economy industries?
What are sales, revenue, and price analysis by types and applications of Gig Economy market?
What are sales, revenue, and price analysis by regions of Gig Economy industries?
Get Exclusive discount on this report now at https://www.alexareports.com/check-discount/2004384
Table of Contents
Global Gig Economy Market Outlook-by Major Company, Regions, Type, Application and Segment Forecast, 2015-2026
1 Market Scope Gig Economy
1.1 Gig Economy Market Snapsshot
1.1.1 Major Companies Overview
1.1.2 Market Concentration
1.1.3 Market Share & Six-Year Compound Annual Growth Rate of Major Market (CAGR)
2 Global Gig Economy Industry Analysis
2.1 Sector Breakdown Assessment, 2015-2026
2.2 Market Assessment by Type
2.3 Market Size Analysis and Forecast, by Application
3 China Gig Economy Market Estimates & Forecasts
3.1 China Gig Economy Market by Sector, 2015-2026
3.2 China Gig Economy Market by Application, 2015-2026
4 EU Gig Economy Market Estimates & Forecasts
4.1 EU Gig Economy Market by Sector, 2015-2026
4.2 EU Gig Economy Market by Application, 2015-2026
5 USA Gig Economy Market Estimates & Forecasts
5.1 USA Gig Economy Market by Sector, 2015-2026
5.2 USA Gig Economy Market by Application, 2015-2026
6 Japan Gig Economy Market Estimates & Forecasts
6.1 Japan Gig Economy Market by Sector, 2015-2026
6.2 Japan Gig Economy Market by Application, 2015-2026
7 India Gig Economy Market Estimates & Forecasts
7.1 India Gig Economy Market by Sector, 2015-2026
7.2 India Gig Economy Market by Application, 2015-2026
8 Southeast Asia Gig Economy Market Estimates & Forecasts
8.1 Southeast Asia Gig Economy Market by Sector, 2015-2026
8.2 Southeast Asia Gig Economy Market by Application, 2015-2026
9 South America Gig Economy Market Estimates & Forecasts
9.1 South America Gig Economy Market by Sector, 2015-2026
9.2 South America Gig Economy Market by Application, 2015-2026
10 Value Chain (Impact of COVID-19)
10.1 Gig Economy Value Chain Analysis
10.2 COVID-19 Impact on this Industry
10.2.1 Industrial Policy Issued Under the Epidemic Situation
11 Competitive Analysis
11.1.1 Key Information
11.1.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.1.4 Business Dynamics
11.2.1 Key Information
11.2.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.2.4 Business Dynamics
11.3.1 Key Information
11.3.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.3.4 Business Dynamics
11.4.1 Key Information
11.4.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.4.4 Business Dynamics
11.5.1 Key Information
11.5.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.5.4 Business Dynamics
11.6.1 Key Information
11.6.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.6.4 Business Dynamics
11.7.1 Key Information
11.7.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.7.4 Business Dynamics
11.8.1 Key Information
11.8.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.8.4 Business Dynamics
11.9.1 Key Information
11.9.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.9.4 Business Dynamics
11.10 Amazon Flex
11.10.1 Key Information
11.10.2 Service/Solution Introduction
11.10.4 Business Dynamics
11.13 The Food Assembly
12 Research Conclusion
Purchase this report @ https://www.alexareports.com/checkout/2004384
Alexa Reports is a globally celebrated premium market research service provider, with a strong legacy of empowering business with years of experience. We help our clients by implementing a decision support system through progressive statistical surveying, in-depth market analysis, and reliable forecast data.
Gig Economy Market Report 2020, Trends, Competitive Landscape and Opportunities
Gig workers should get serious about it
Busting 5 Myths About Gig Work Platforms
GiG Partners Up With Armstrong Operation Ltd
Gig economy workers ‘hit harder’ financially
Jenny McCarthy Quit New Year’s Eve Host Gig for 2019-2020
Companies1 year ago
GiG Partners Up With Armstrong Operation Ltd
Economy1 year ago
Gig economy workers ‘hit harder’ financially
Work1 year ago
Jenny McCarthy Quit New Year’s Eve Host Gig for 2019-2020
Economy1 year ago
How to grow your company in times of gig economy and digital nomadism – TechTalks
Companies10 months ago
1.8 million gig workers were purged from Upwork – here’s why
Companies12 months ago
BLOG: AB 5 will kill the gig economy, force more companies to leave
Work6 months ago
Berkeley Nuclear Security Professor Jasmina Vujic’s Bizarre Side Gig Is Far-Right Serbian Activist
Workers1 year ago
U.K. Election and Taxes • C Corp Conversion • Gig Work Defense