Connect with us

Work

GigSmart Debuts More Hiring Options Due to Shifts in Gig Economy | Colorado

Published

on

DENVER, Jan. 12, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — GigSmart, the staffing company that connects businesses looking for talent with individuals looking for work through the Get Workers and Get Gigs apps, announced expanded functionality to allow businesses to post and advertise their part-time and full-time positions to a user base of nearly 300,000 active job seekers.

After analyzing internal data from its apps over the last quarter of 2020, GigSmart observed the following:

• The number of hourly Shift Gigs completed from October 2020 to December 2020 increased by 39%.
  • The top three industries that hired in Q4 were warehouse (up 381%), delivery services (up 386%), and cleaning (114%).
  • As a result of the increased overall growth, the number of hourly shift workers converted to full-time employees increased 167%, confirming the desire to retain top talent once identified.

Launched in November of 2018, GigSmart’s Get Workers staffing platform has successfully connected a rapidly growing number of job seekers to temporary opportunities at businesses operating in all industries. As more organizations used Get Workers to convert their temporary hires to permanent employees, the need for adding support for permanent hires within the Get Workers platform became evident.

Now, in addition to sourcing workers for hourly Shift Gigs, business users can post Full/Part-Time Positions on the GigSmart Job Board. GigSmart launched the Job Board to help businesses combat labor shortages and to aid workers on their paths to connect to local work opportunities. With the Job Board, GigSmart’s ability to connect job seekers with their next role and employers with qualified candidates to power their workforces will grow exponentially as the gig economy continues to grow.

“U.S. employers continue to face talent shortages and struggle to fill open positions,” said Rich Oakes, President of GigSmart. “With unemployment at record high levels, our mission of helping people get jobs has never felt more important. In addition to finding and hiring temporary labor, now businesses can source workers for their open permanent positions, giving users one platform to connect with local workers for any role in any industry.”

Full/Part-Time Position posting plans start at $20 and enable Get Workers business users to:

• Promote their open roles to thousands of active job seekers on the GigSmart Job Board.
  • Route quality applicants to their company’s hiring website or a specified email address. 
  • Measure and track their job post performance. 
  • Boost posts to notify all Get Gigs users within a 75-mile radius of the posting address.

While applicants for those roles are being sourced, Get Workers users can utilize Shift Gigs to find, hire, and manage hourly workers to fill vacant positions immediately.

“As uncertainty around COVID continues to impact the American economy, we predict more companies will turn to flex labor solutions,” continued Oakes. “Those who hire a diverse mix of W2 employees, 1099 contractors, and third-party solutions will be most successful.”

To hire a worker, visit the GigSmart website at gigsmart.com or download the Get Workers app for iOS or Android. To become a worker, download the Get Gigs app for iOS or Android.

About GigSmart

GigSmart is a staffing company focused on providing modern solutions to meet the needs of a rapidly evolving economy. GigSmart’s apps, Get Workers and Get Gigs, connect businesses and residential users looking for labor with local workers. The apps are available in all 50 states serving industries including construction, manufacturing, food service, delivery services, transportation, retail, customer service, and professional services. 

MEDIA CONTACT:
Jenay Sellers
jsellers@gigsmart.com
720.828.7720

Related Images

image1.png

Source link

Work

Gig Harbor holds procession for first female firefighter, paramedic after unexpected death – KOMO News

Published

on

By

Continue Reading

Work

California’s Proposed Worker Co-Op Model for the Gig Economy | King & Spalding

Published

on

By

Series 2, 10 in 10: Issue 2

In response to the rise in app-based gig economy work and the passage of California’s Proposition 22, the California General Assembly is considering the Cooperative Economy Act, which aims to introduce a worker cooperative model into the gig economy. This model would permit workers to group together in jointly-owned organizations, or worker cooperatives, that provide staffing services to gig companies. Workers for the worker cooperatives would be designated as W-2 employees of the cooperative.

Under the proposed bill, the California Labor Commissioner would be required to create and help maintain a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation operating under the name of “Federation of California Worker Cooperatives” (Federation). After the Governor of California appoints the Federation’s initial board of directors, the current intent is for the State to have no further involvement in the governance of the Federation.

Membership in the Federation would be restricted to worker cooperatives that comply with the following:

• Uniform hiring and ownership eligibility criteria;
  • At least 51% of the workers (natural persons contributing to a worker cooperative) are worker-owners (a worker that holds an ownership interest in a worker cooperative);
  • A majority of the voting ownership interest is held by worker-owners;
  • A majority of voting power is held by worker-owners; and
  • The majority of earnings is distributed based on the quantity or value of work performed rather than ownership interest.

The Federation would be required to:

• Set labor policies for its members, including for hiring, firing, promotion, discipline, compensation, and assignment of work; and
  • Provide all management to its members.

Under federal law, the Federation would be deemed the employer of the management professionals (an employee of the Federation that provides management services to members of the Federation) and each cooperative’s workers and worker-owners. Under state law, workers and worker-owners would be employees of the Federation and the applicable cooperative. A cooperative would be prohibited from directly employing its own management professionals.

If passed, AB 1319 could fundamentally alter the relationship between workers and gig companies. Although the text of the proposed bill is currently silent as to the precise interaction, the Federation would essentially act as the broker or staffing firm between gig companies and workers. It is currently unclear whether the bill will move out of committee this year, but we will continue to monitor and advise on any developments. Ultimately, companies relying on a contingent workforce should keep a close eye on AB 1319 as its passage could have immediate and lasting effects on business models outside of the gig economy.

Source link

Continue Reading

Work

Bandleader looks forward to performing Westborough hometown gig

Published

on

By

By Ed Karvoski Jr., Contributing Writer

The Midtown Horns’ founder and bassist Greg Kojoyian performs July 15 at the Wood Park Music Shell in Hudson.
(Photo/Ed Karvoski Jr.)

WESTBOROUGH – Greg Kojoyian began honing his musical skills while in grades four through 12 in Westborough public schools. Several decades later, he’s now the founder, bassist and bandleader of The Midtown Horns.

In recent years, Kojoyian’s band has endured multiple concert cancellations due to inclement weather, the EEE threat and pandemic restrictions. Nevertheless, he is hopeful that The Midtown Horns’ show will go on as scheduled on Tuesday, Aug. 10, from 6 to 8 p.m., at Westborough’s Bay State Commons.

“Playing in my hometown is special for me,” he noted. “I’m really looking forward to it.”

Westborough’s instrumental years 

Kojoyian learned to play trumpet as a fourth-grader inspired by the late Larry Forand. A professional trumpeter, Forand also worked full-time as the music director for Westborough’s entire school district.

“He was a great guy with an infectious ability to get everybody excited to do music,” Kojoyian said of his mentor.

In high school, Kojoyian also learned to play bass guitar. Then, his inspiration came from pop culture.

“You saw The Beatles running down the street with girls chasing them – but the girls weren’t chasing trumpet players,” he recalled. “I started getting into rock bands.”

Among his teen-era endeavors was a rock band called Pulse, which included horn players. They covered hit songs of bands such as Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears. Pulse’s performance venues ranged from dances at the Westborough Town Hall to high school graduation parties.

Continuing with a horn-based band

Kojoyian describes The Midtown Horns as the “direct descendant” of Pulse. 

“Probably because I was originally a trumpet player, I’ve always liked the big sound of bands with horns,” he explained. “Pulse spurred my lifelong passion for horn-based bands.”

The Midtown Horns typically includes 14 to 16 musicians. Their repertoire features contemporary, Motown, funk, rhythm and blues, soul and Latin genres.

They debuted at a Southborough summer concert in 2017.

Also in 2017, the band performed at Bay Stay Commons following the grand parade to celebrate Westborough’s 300th anniversary. Performing the concert was a chance for Kojoyian to represent his family’s town pride. 

“I only wish my dad could have seen us play at the celebration,” he said. “My dad loved Westborough.”

His late father, Sarkis Kojoyian, had served on the Westborough Planning Board as well as other town boards and committees.

Gigging year-round

In addition to outdoor summer concerts, The Midtown Horns entertain year-round at various venues.

“The summertime concerts are essentially our showcase,” Kojoyian noted. “We perform at weddings, benefits, corporate events and hotels. Very few nightclubs can fit us on their stage.”

Despite several unavoidable summer 2019 cancellations, Kojoyian considered it “a banner year” for the band. 

As a favorite 2019 gig, he cites their concert at Gloucester’s annual Labor Day weekend celebration. The Midtown Horns performed amid the Schooner Festival’s Boat Parade of Lights and fireworks over Gloucester Harbor. 

“It’s a really great event,” Kojoyian said of Gloucester’s holiday festivities. “We’re doing it again this year – thankfully!” 

Their busy 2019 schedule culminated with a show in December at the Encore Casino in Everett. Pandemic restrictions canceled the band’s 2020 gigs.

Entertaining audiences again

The Midtown Horns’ return to the stage took place at Wood Park in Hudson. After getting rained out July 7 and 12, they entertained an appreciative audience under clear skies on July 15.

“It felt great,” Kojoyian said of their first live show in 18 months. “It’s almost like a dream that a whole year and a half went by.”

Another dream job for Kojoyian is The Midtown Horns’ upcoming concert in Westborough – his hometown.

“My musical roots are in Westborough,” he added.

Learn more about The Midtown Horns at themidtownhorns.com and Facebook

RELATED CONTENT:

Assabet Valley Mastersingers coming to Westborough (communityadvocate.com)

Square One Players to bring community theater back to Shrewsbury (communityadvocate.com)

Summer Concert Series welcomes ‘Southbound Train’ to Marlborough (communityadvocate.com)

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Gigger.news.